Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Summer of Running

I went to visit my sister who lives in Ft. Lauderdale for spring break (how cliche...spring break in Florida). The month before I went I started working out since bikinis are the traditional garb of female Floridians and I didn't want to be chubby and pale). Running seemed the easiest and quickest way to whip my slightly flabby self into shape. Within a week of starting my routine, my little belly "pooch" was starting to diminish, and I was building ab muscle as well. This summer, since I am no longer bogged down with school and homework, I've decided to kick it up a notch. I've been doubling my distance and hoping to build up endurance. I highly recommend this form of exercise and will share with you the three best products I've found for my own personal running regimen.

No. 1
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8






This beaut of a shoe has saved my knees! Though they are expensive, it is a great investment. These are great for me because I need the stability they provide. I bought them at an awesome running store where the employees actually watched me run and then chose a few different shoes for me based on how much I roll my foot. I felt awkward running up and down the store, but it was worth it. When I put the Brooks shoe on and ran 30 feet, I just knew that those babies were gonna change my whole summer running plan.

No. 2

Shu-shu-shuffle!










Besides being able to eat a spud without guilt, music is the greatest motivator for me as a runner. You can save a little bit
of money if you buy a refurbished shuffle straight from Apple. I paid around 40 bucks, and shipping was free.

The next step is to load your teensy little player with tunes that have good beats. Five of my favorite running tunes are:
We Will Still Need a Song - Hawksley Workman
Hey Ya! -Outkast
When Did Your Heart Go Missing? - Rooney
Touch The Sky - Kanye West
Supermassive Black Hole - Muse

I'm open to suggestions for new songs, although my 1 GB shuffle is damn near full.

No. 3
Shorts












For women, a great sports bra is essential for running, but I've found that the right pair of shorts can also make a world of difference. When I first started running I wore some crappy cotton shorts which chafed, in addition to letting sweat and moisture collect down there, which only made that situation more uncomfortable. Nike's Road Race shorts are extremely lightweight and comfortable. When I'm running in them, I sometimes feel like I'm not wearing any bottoms (which, let me add, is quite liberating :o) ). Nike makes loads of great running shorts. Being raised in a liberal household, I was told over and over that Nike, Adidas, and all those bigwig athletic companies were terrible because they used cheap labor and outsourced jobs. But...Nike's shorts are too good to pass up.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Scrangie said...

Thanks for the shoe review! I had to stop running because I seriously hurt my foot running in a pair of crappy shoes. I'm gonna go check these out and see if they help.

Grace said...

Well I highly recommend going to an actual running store (as opposed to Dick's or something).

http://www.chicagoaa.com/features/jan08localrunstores.html

That article has a list of some really good stores, although the only one I've went to on that list is Fleet Feet.

Good luck! Running is an awesome way to stay in shape!